adventures between the cracks
Inspired by successful experiments with crackle on fabric, I made some crackled butterflies and used them to jazz up a handmade purse that I diverted from its path to the thrift store.
I started with a sheet of Lutradur medium weight mixed media fabric and drew around cardboard templates with a fine tip marker to make a sheet of butterfly shapes.
I gave each shape a couple of coats of acrylic paint – choosing pearlescent white mixed with bright colours to create metallic tones – this is the colour that ends up showing in between the cracks.
Once dry I tinted Kroma Crackle with small amounts of acrylic colours and applied a layer with a palette knife onto each butterfly shape, adding a few dots of contrasting colours to create simple patterns on the wings.
Once the cracks had formed and the crackle was dry I added detail to the wing patterns using Copic brush tip markers.
I added a layer of clear fluid acrylic medium for extra strength before cutting out the butterflies using scissors.
I used a needle and metallic green thread to stitch the butterflies onto the fabric purse and added a twig and some leaves which were also made with acrylic colours and Kroma Crackle on Lutradur mixed media fabric .
And now I have to find homes for a small flock of extra butterflies!
Love these butterflies! Fabulous appliques.